NETfacts: Natural Health Products, Self-care
Surprising Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
Many people are becoming more aware of the importance of eating well and leading a healthy lifestyle. It is amazing how coconut oil has recently been acknowledged for its many amazing health, skin, and cooking uses! From beating sugar cravings to aiding weight loss, there are more benefits of coconut oil than most of us may realize.
Here are some of the health benefits of coconut oil:
- Alzheimer’s treatment: Studies show that the fatty acids in coconut oil can increase blood levels of ketone bodies, supplying energy for the brain cells of Alzheimer’s patients and relieving symptoms.
- Dental care: Calcium is an important component of our teeth. Since coconut oil facilitates absorption of calcium by the body, it helps in developing strong teeth. Coconut oil also stops tooth decay.
- Diabetes: Coconut oil helps in controlling blood sugar, and improves the secretion of insulin. It also promotes the effective utilization of blood glucose, thereby preventing and treating diabetes.
- Weight loss: The triglycerides in coconut oil have been shown to increase 24 hour energy expenditure by as much as 5%, potentially leading to significant weight loss over the long term.
- Boost immune function: The fatty acids and breakdown products in coconut oil can kill harmful pathogens, potentially helping to prevent infections.
- Heart disease prevention: Studies in both humans and rats show that coconut oil improves important risk factors like Total, LDL and HDL cholesterol, which may translate to a reduced risk of heart disease.
- Skin care: Coconut oil can be applied topically as well, studies showing it to be effective as a skin moisturizer and protecting against hair damage. It can also be used as a mild form of sunscreen and as mouthwash.
People are using coconut oil for all sorts of things with incredible success.
Best of all, coconut oil is easy to add to your daily regimen. Use it in sautéing vegetables, raw in smoothies and juices, and in your baking and cooking. Its flavor goes well with sweeter dishes but can temper a spicy dish just as well.
Just a tablespoon a day could make a difference in your health. So pick up some coconut oil today and see the significant health benefits!
Feel free to add to the list in the comments below!